In 1887 the CPR completed the rail link between Nelson and Robson – across the Columbia from Castlegar. Paddle wheelers, including the SS Minto, carried goods and passengers between Revelstoke at the head of the Arrow Lakes and Robson. Lead-zinc ore (galena) was barged across the river to West Robson and then shipped by standard gauge Columbia and Western Railway to the smelter in Trail. A little later the CPR bought the existing area railways as a part of the Crow’s Nest Line and linked them with a bridge near Pass Creek. At about the same time a line was built from West Robson to Midway. To accommodate the traffic the bridge and the station were both built and completed in 1902. While the bridge has a swing span to accommodate downstream paddle wheelers, it was used only once.